The Taylor family has operated golf courses in central Indiana for nearly 80 years. It began with the Rees family who opened Willow Brook Golf Club on leased land at 46th street and Keystone Avenue in Indianapolis. Willow Brook featured an 18 hole Par 3 Course (Known as the Short 18) and a 9 hole regulation course (Known as the Long 9). At the time, Willow Brook was a rare bird in that it was a golf course open to the public that was not a municipal operation. Joe Taylor got involved in the golf business when he married Margaret Rees. After a long, successful run at Willow Brook that spanned 1931 to 1965, the Taylors purchased land further north in Indianapolis at 81st and Dean Rd and built Sycamore Springs Golf Club. Sycamore became an institution in Indianapolis’ blossoming Castleton region. Joe & Margaret’s children, Judy and Sam, grew up in the golf business and became the foundation of Sycamore and later StonyCreek Golf Club.
Next (The Site)